Barbados Pocket Guide

Grenade Hall Forest & Signal Station

Grenade Hall Forest & Signal Station

This signal station and present heritage site on the island of Barbados was constructed in 1819. Grenade Hall Forest and Signal Station was one of a series built after a major slave insurrection in 1816 for the main purpose of communication during those years. The signals were created by using certain codes and lighting and were able to warn authorities on the island of pending danger, such as approaching ships or slave uprising on plantations, this propensity largely because of the vantage points based on how the stations were designed and built.

 

suntours-ad-400x40

 

Grenade Signal Station and all the others tended to be constructed on high ground. Due to this factor, the remaining stations now provide visitors to these spots a fantastic view of Barbados. Grenade Signal Station in St. Andrew specifically has windows in every direction.

 

It is based on a forest reserve, which is accessible to all. It is overgrown with all forms of natural herbs and plants. For those persons interested in natural and homeopathic remedies, a cool walk through the Forest would likely allow some interesting finds. Good signage and descriptions afford the onlooker the opportunity to be educated and gain a better understanding of these plants, their properties and uses.

 

The public may visit this site, which is open daily from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The entrance fee is BDS $23.00 which includes access to another nearby and worthwhile attraction, the Barbados Wildlife Reserve.

 

00-12

 

Last modified on Monday, 26 August 2013 12:12

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.