Barbados Pocket Guide

Fountain Gardens

Fountain Gardens, Bridgetown, Barbados Pocket Guide

Fountain Gardens

Also known as the Dolphin Gardens, Fountain Gardens is located in National Heroes Square in the city of Bridgetown, Barbados. Piped water was introduced to the city in 1861 and this tri-dolphin fountain was erected in 1865 some four years later, after a local newspaper made the suggestion.

 

There is a plaque that reads: "This fountain was erected by public subscription to commemorate the bringing of piped water to the City of Bridgetown on 29 March 1861. Opened by acting Governor - Robert Miller Mundy ESQ. on the 27th July 1865 who accepted custody of this fountain on behalf of the Government of Barbados." A plaque placed below the first reads: "The pump for this fountain was installed by the Barbados National Trust with a grant from the Advocate Company Limited. (Established 1895)"

 

The Water Works Company in Barbados agreed to supply water free of charge while the fountain was imported free of charge through agents for the ship Sylph.

 

In 1882 it is recorded that work began to establish the garden and enclosure with the help of convict labourers. The fountain depicts dolphins spewing water into a base.

 

Other places of interest to visit while in National Heroes Square are Lord Nelson Statue and The War Memorial.

 

Fountain Gardens When Once Operational in Bridgetown, Barbados Pocket Guide

 

Last modified on Monday, 06 February 2012 15:03
More in this category: « Chamberlain Bridge Heroes Square »

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.