St. Mark's Church

St. Mark's Anglican Church is situated in the north eastern parish of St. John on the beautiful island of Barbados. This quaint old church was built on land which was provided by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel; the same society coincidentally also provided the funds needed for the construct this chapel.



Construction on this chapel was started in 1823 and by 1829 it was complete. The chapel measured an impressive two thousand, three hundred and forty square feet and cost a modest five hundred and seventy pounds (£570.00). Ironically, this first chapel only managed to stand for about two years since it was completely destroyed by the hurricane that made landfall in Barbados in August of 1831.


St. Mark’s Church was known as the 'Chapel on the Hill' by locals because of its location on a rock outcrop and this was actually the reason why it was first noticed that the church had been totally destroyed in the hurricane. An eyewitness interviewed after the hurricane in Barbados actually stated in the local paper that when he looked up on the hill he didn't even see a single stone to indicate that the chapel had ever stood in that location.


Following the devastation of that destructive hurricane, reconstruction of St. Mark's Chapel in Barbados began in earnest in 1832 and on January 11th, 1833 with the Chapel completed, it was consecrated. The current church has an aisle attached to the chapel's northern side; this aisle and the chapel's tower were added later to the original structure. The chapel's tower replaced a small spire that stood atop the western end of the roof.


This simple old church provides wonderful views of the coastline along Barbados' north eastern coast.



Sundays - 8:00 a.m.


Office Hours

Saturdays - 10:00 am - 12:00 p.m.


Contact Information

Telephone (office) - (246) 423-1376
(246) 4287926




2019 BPG SunAds bit
2019 BPG SunAds imart